Thursday, August 25, 2011

History (BBT)

btt button

Sometimes I feel like the only person I know who finds reading history fascinating. It’s so full of amazing-yet-true stories of people driven to the edge and how they reacted to it. I keep telling friends that a good history book (as opposed to some of those textbooks in school that are all lists and dates) does everything a good novel does–it grips you with real characters doing amazing things. Am I REALLY the only person who feels this way? When is the last time you read a history book? Historical biography? You know, something that took place in the past but was REAL. 

A good history book is really fun to read--I've enjoyed quite a few, most of them about the new first ladies of the USA and some about the Indian heroes of India. I don't like to read them much, because sometimes it's a bit too painful (but in a good way, I suppose.) It bothers me to see the struggles that such good people went through to bring about change for those around them, if not the whole world and yet, today--people are still fighting the change or constructing the same stumbling blocks for the new generation.

I think the last biography I read was Abraham Lincoln about two years ago and it was a wonderful read. I don't quite remember who wrote it, because it was an old, fading hardcover that I'd bargained to get my hands on. Fun! ^_^

~Sara

4 comments:

LibrarySnake said...

Interesting answer, I agree, many history books can be fun to read, if written correctly.

Here's mine:
http://carabosseslibrary.blogspot.com/2011/08/booking-through-thursday_25.html

Tribute Books Mama said...

I like both true history and historical fiction.

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/08/booking-through-thursday_25.html

Anya Millar said...

Now Lincoln I could read about... Some H-non is quite good, sadly some is so dry it's scary.

Here's Mine: House Millar - BTT

Aine

Kate said...

I really do need to read more biographies....I have Queen Noor's 'Leap of Faith' by my computer right now... Ah..the ever-growing TBR pile and Thursdays seem to help me find more to put on that pile!
Here is my answer!