Monday, July 28, 2014

Nature Fairy Rehab (Snippet #1) : Merrins

ski lodge in Montana : found in google images

FICTION SNIPPET 

"Sky?" Merrins squinted up at the blue sky--or rather, what she could see of it through the window of the ski lodge. "I don't think it works that way, Cy."

I tried not to roll my eyes and snapped my fingers in front of her face to regain her attention. "Not sky," I said, taking care to speak slowly. "Ski."

"S-ki?" she rolled the word around in her mouth and shook her head.

"You strap thin sticks to your feet and slide down steep hills with them," I explained. "You also have little flexible sticks to steer with. C'mon, it'll be fun."

Her lip curled in the way that meant she was going to be stubborn, whether I wanted her to be or not. "No. No ski."

"Merrins!"

The curled lip morphed into a pout. "Noooo," she whined.

I looped an arm through hers and pulled her to the door. Nature fairy rehab. Right. I should have taken a different job for the school holiday, but this paid the most. "Yes, yes and yes," I muttered, wrestling her out the door. "It's just a bit of cold, alright--whoa!"

She yanked her arm back from me, hugging both arms to herself as her teeth chattered. Her lovely blonde hair turned bright, neon blue and one olive-green eye had fluxed to royal blue. Her lips faded into purple as a faint sparkling tinge crept over her face. "You didn't tell me it was cold, Cy!"


"It's winter," I growled. "Do I have to explain that winter is cold?"

(c) Sara Harricharan

0 comments: